Debian zope2.1.6-7 installation, can't login 1st access

Something is very wrong with my copy of the Zope 2.1.6-7 Debian pkg.
I can't seem to get it to do anyhing.
http access is messed.
when I type
	$ lynx http://localhost:9673/
	I do not get the Welcome to Zope screen
I get a password prompt which doesn't accept my Super/Emergency/Administrator/accessfile username & password.
	repeated attempts get a 401 error screen, which says I am unathorized

I have tried all the suggestions in the /usr/share/doc/zope/README.Debian.gz (All the archived messages I've run across reiterate these changes I've already tried.)

	$ /usr/sbin/zopectl stop
	$ /usr/sbin/zope-zpasswd
		username: superuser
		password: admin123
		encoding: SHA
		domains:
	$ chown -R www-data.www-data /var/lib/zope/*
	$ /usr/sbin/zopectl start
	Starting Zope . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . done.

#but it still doesn't give me the welcome screen and demands name/passwd
	$ lynx http://localhost:9673/
		unable to access without authorization --retrying
		username: superuser
		password: admin123
			denied
			401 errorscreen  Unauthorized

boring newbie's details of machine's setup follow
Started with a virgin Debian Installation:
powermac 7200 (ppc601/75)
Format HD and install Base System
CD- binary-powerpc-1.iso 08-Dec-2000
default stable archive

Installer prompts for additional software, from the SimpleTaskInstaller I chose
Newbie Help and Finished the install.
(this is the cleanest install I've figured out as a newbie)

login as root
Modify sources.list point to debian.org site
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get -u install python-base     finishes successfully
$ apt-get -u install zope     works away
then...
gives me message about changes to ports, etc
then prompts for username & password.
and starts up Zope successfully.
At least that's what it thinks

$ lynx http://localhost:9673
	should at least give me the welcomescreen.
	but I get - cannot access without authorization

I immediately stop zope with
/usr/sbin/zopectl stop
and then make changes suggested in README.Debian.gz as mentioned above.