Re: Airport quality levels?

On  17 Apr, this message from Nicholas Ingolia echoed through cyberspace:
> I and others I know get similar numbers and have perfect wireless
> performance.

OK, thanks. Are your Link Quality readings comparable as well?

> Are you aware that the signal and noise numbers are in logarithmic units,
> meaning that the signal is more than 1000-fold stronger than the
> noise?

Oh yes, I know db calculations quite well. What struck me is that the
Link Quality reading is consistently at something like 30% (i.e. 30/92),
which does seem rather poor. If the -60dbm receive level is normal, then
why leave so much room in the quality scale?

What got me wondering  as well is that I hardly get any network
downstairs in the living room, when the base station is two floors up,
in the office. The staiscase doesn't permit line-of-sight, of course,
but it's not entirely closed with walls.

Oh well, I'll move the base station around a bit.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |