Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorl d)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:53:32PM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:

> No idea. Paulus should know that...

clausen may know too..

> Absolutely. Don't ask me why they didn't just _fix_ the ROM proper,
> instead of burning a buggy ROM containg patches to these bugs...

because they could not give less of a damn about OpenFirmware at the
time, they just wanted to kludge it together as quickly as possible
and get it just barely booting the hardware MacOSROM, once it did
that, its good nuff, ship it.

> No idea. I didn't try and see whether it boots without it ;-)

if they burned it into the ROM i doubt it..

> Do me (especially me with my need for G3 hackery) a favour and include
> the possibility to add user-supplied nvramrc patches. Editing a saved
> copy and reapplying that is probably ok.

oh definitly.  whatever i come up with will be pluggable.

> That would be useful in some extreme cases; but how about saving a copy
> in a format understood by bootvars, the MacOS app? It's a first start in

i have no idea how bootvars works, attempting to run this on a
newworld crashes macos instantly.  maybe i should see if it works in
mol...  otherwise you will have to give me an example. so long as its
plain unix text its fine, otherwise fix bootvars ;-)

> this direction; from there on building a bootable floppy with bootvars
> (maybe modified) runing as Finder should'nt be too much trouble. Plus,
> that saved copy can simply be copied to a MacOS install (if available)
> for restarting. Plus, anybody using both Linux and MacOS on the same
> Oldworld machine will have a regular need for this file ;-)

i don't want such a floppy to rely on MacOS, since the whole point is
to purge all traces of MacOS from these machines.  also the floppy
should be Free software, we cannot distribute MacOS.

> There may be danger in doing this; we should first be _very_ sure what
> nvramrc contains by default on each box. I couzld very well imagine that
> there are different revisions of the same box with revised nvramrc
> patches... without incrementing the OF version number. Probably a
> positive list of known machines is a minimum; but still potentially
> dangerous...

yes i am sure there are, that is a problem for sure.. i don't know of
any way to reset the nvram from linux, only with the boot snag key.

as for being dangerous its certainly not as bad as a newworld box
where screwing with nvramrc can destroy the bootrom ;-)

the main problem i see is i don't think there is much of a way to
`append' information into an nvramrc, at least not with nvsetenv.  so
there needs to be some way to *accurately* identify a machine revision
and install a exactly matching patch...  that could be very
non-trivial..  (though apple must do something like this for thier
rhapsody/darwin stuff)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/