Re: What is /etc/X11/X ?

On  17 Apr, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:
> Stefan Haller wrote:
>> Now X won't start.  It says
>>
>>   X: Cannot stat /etc/X11/X (no such file or directory).
>
> It should be a symlink to the X server binary. The server package should set
> it, do you have xserver-xfree86 installed?

Until a few days ago, the xserver-xfree86 package in debian didn't
include the link... or it was not properly recreated when upgrading from
potato. Had the same problem.

While installing the testing X4 packages, they wouldn't ask for
configuration, and hence X was unusable afterwards. Easy fix, though:
provide XF86config-4 and the /etc/X11/X link.

This morning I upgraded to the latest packages in testing, and they now
went through the config questions, and also proposed to recreate the
link and the config.

So hopefully all is fixed now.

Cheers

Michel