Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorl d)

Hi Ethan,

On  15 Apr, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> Something else i am interested in is the OpenFirmware configuration
> required to successfully boot with quik on various models.

7600/132, with G3/300 processor upgrade, OF version 1.0.5, booting from
internal SCSI disk. Note that OF 1.0.5 is broken (as far as we know) in
that you can't select a partition to boot from; it will use the first it
finds. Therefore I'm still using the quik installed on my old R4 root
partition ;-). I'll try reinstalling quik on my current root partition
one of these days....

/etc/quik.conf:

init-message="Type macos, linux or off\n"
timeout=50
default=r5

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18
        label=r5
        append="root=/dev/sda8 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 video=controlfb: video=matrox:off"

image=/boot/vmlinux-test
        label=test
        append="root=/dev/sda8 console=ttyS0 console=tty0 video=scrollback:64k video=controlfb:vram:3 video=matrox:off"

______________________

'test' is my current 2.4 kernel; I'm selecting it via OF's boot-file
variable. Here are the OF settings:

boot-device     scsi-int/sd@1:0		(internal SCSI ID 1)
boot-file        test	(I think the leading space here is required)
boot-command    begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again

(all others except nvramrc are at defaults)

the boot-command catches SCSI disks that are slow at spinning up.

Also, on all chaos-based machines, your quik wrapper could patch OF to
correctly drive the chaos display under OF.... Let me know if you need
the patch. Or, include a means for user-specified nvramrc patches, and
pre-load it with the chaos patch.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |