Re: new installation

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:13:15AM -0700, Tovar wrote:
>    so, to use BootX i still need macos, now this system comes with only one hd,
>    and it has macos on it ...
>    does there exist something like fips, to shrink the macos partition ? so i
>    can make space for linux, or do i have to add a new hd ? and can i just add
>    a pc ide hd ?
>
> The previous owner left me a copy of Norton Utilities "Optimize" to help me
> get started, which is a defragmenting program that has an option to move
> everything to the start of the disk for purposes of repartitioning.  I then
> used HD Toolkit (which i already had) to shrink that partition.  Alas, i do
> not know which open source tools will do anything comparable, but perhaps
> a friend can you let use theirs for just long enough to solve your problem.
> Or if either of you are purists in terms of licensing agreements, bring over
> the disk.  Needless to say, back everything up twice before repartitioning
> or moving a disk if the data is important to you.

if its hfs not plus, all you have to do is defragment the disk so all
the data is in a contigious block at the start of the partition, then
just use mac-fdisk to delete and recreate the partition smaller then
what it was, just make SURE you put the start block in the same
place.

hfs not plus just accepts whatever the partition table says about the
filesystem size.

of course you need to make a backup bofore ever doing anything with
partitions, regardless of software.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/