Re: Problems with Bootx and G3

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:20:14AM -0800, David Moruzzi wrote:
> I have an beige G3 desktop (old world?) I am trying to get bootx to load the
> installer from the ramdisk. What I get is the Linux splash and near the
> bottom of the boot info page "Ramdisk could not find a ramdisk image
> starting at 0."

BootX is obnoxious about loading ramdisks, it MUST be named
`ramdisk.image.gz' (iirc) and it MUST be in the Linux\ Kernels
directory where your loading the kernel from.   are both of these
true?  you should be using the root.bin image, just rename it to
ramdisk.image.gz or whatever it is that BootX wants.  and see if that
helps.

> I partitioned the drive with the mac partition tool under OS9. I left a 3g
> partition in the beginning of the disk and put OS9 on the second partition.
> Any ideas or thoughts. I am fairly new to the Mac flavor of things. Is there
> a way to use yaboot on this type of machine, by chance. Can't get the debian
> cd to boot on this machine either (holding c or from within firmware)

that partitioning is OK, you just need to delete that first partition
with the mac-fdisk partitioner once you get debian's root disk booted,
follow my guide at
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt

for a beige G3 you don't need the bootstrap partition since it cannot
be used on oldworlds, but its not a bad idea to make one anyway just
in case you move the disk to a newworld you will be able to make it
bootable.  (bootx and quik cannot be used on newworlds)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/