RE: Oldworld-Netbooting-Help

> Hello.
>     I am trying to get my PowerMac 5500/225 to netboot using BootP,
> TFTP, and a kernel image, but I do not know how.  Any help would be
> appreciated.  I am also trying to get my Beige G3 300 to netboot, and it
> fails after loading the kernel image.
> Thank you.
> cortsetlow-the-gpig@worldnet.att.net

Last I checked, the OF MAC address for the Ethernet was different at
boot time from when an OS is loaded like Linux or MacOS.  This can be
seen with sufficient debug in bootpd and looking at /var/log/syslog
or /var/log/daemon.log on another debian ( i386 or equiv ).  The prob
then is that the RARP for bootp has to be dropped for the TFTP to the
new MAC address once the kernel has loaded..... kinda difficult to
rarp -d in the middle.....

MacOS / Linux MAC address
apple 10.1.1.4) at 00:05:02:22:A7:53 [ether] on eth0

BootP/ OF address
rarp -s apple      00:A0:40:44:E5:CA

At least for my 7300.....   I ended up putting the boot images etc
onto a Zip and running a small system off that until dpkg-http was
installed.   Actually I have even run debian on 62M for i386 and 85M
disk for PPC.

Stuart
--
Stuart Andrews         Unix Administrator
Level 2-4, 810 Elizabeth Street, Waterloo NSW 2017