Re: network install problems on 7200/90

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 06:50:05PM -0500, Adam Goode wrote:
> Yes, I have had this problem. The short answer is: MACE is completely
> broken in recent 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. It seems to be able to send 1-2
> packets before failing with "lost a status word". These few initial
> packets allow DHCP to work ok, while everything else fails.
>
> I don't know how to fix it, although I remember using MACE on Linux
> fine back in 1998 (don't ask me which kernel!), and NetBSD and Mac OS
> work fine.
>
> Perhaps this will spark some discussion to the root cause, as I would
> like to use Debian on my old 604-upgraded 7500!

Well, yesterday was probably just a bad day. When I manually configured the
MACE interface it worked just fine. I just switched to the second console
and configured it (not using dhcp), switched back and continued the install.
I'm using kernel 2.2.17 on the boot floppy.

--
Martin Hedenfalk <mhe@home.se> -- http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mhe/
PGP Fingerprint: 4D0F 3A9F 2D5B 12D6 D17D  873E FD62 55A4 A0E3 3C50