RE: Win2k and SAMBA problem

Hi, Morgan,

First of all, thanks for reply.

>This is almost certainly a very simple thing.

I know. The only question remain which.

>Have you turned on encrypted passwords?

Yes. I have turned WINS, also. I have tried other options, like Samba
announce (Win NT 5), protocol options and other, applied latest patches
to W2k, but nothing changed, Win98 works without problems, Win2k do not
see Samba server at all. This is obviously culprit of Win2k, but I could
not figure out how to find it.

>In order to used Win98 or higher, you must have encrypted passwords on,
>additionally, you will find that the login name needs to be the same as the
>samba user name.  There is a program with samba which will build the
>password file for you, the name escapes me right now.

Yes, it is so. But I also have guest shared folder, it should be visible
to everyone. However, Win2k can connect to my Linux box only through ftp
or www, but not smb.

>I would also suggest picking up the Users guide for Samba, it is available
>as a .pdf.  if you can't find it, I can send it to you.  this is the
>complete O'rielly book, it is about 450 page long, so if you don't want to
>burn that many printer pages, get thee to a bookstore!

OK, please do it. I am only need Win2k specific setup. Win98 do not have
problems whatsoever.

>It discusses encrypted passwords in the first or second chapter.
>
>I can give more info if you get stuck, I just wanted to get this note out
>there to let you know there is hope :)

With best regards

Andrei