Non-Apple airport hub?

I'd really like to have wireless networking on my iBook and I'm
prepared to buy the add-on card for it is said to work well.

However, I don't like Apple's hub at all. It is quite expensive, I
don't need the built-in modem and AFAIK it can only be configured via
MacOS, which I don't have running anywhere.

Has anyone tried the airport card with another wireless hub, and
succeeded? Is it possible in theory? It's supposed to be compatible
with some standards, after all.

Thanks

Christian