Re: debian-powerpc: Keyspan USB to serial converter works :)

Brendan J Simon wrote:

> I haven't used it in depth yet.  I just got my embedded system to output
> it's boot screen and that was enough for me.  It was late so I headed
> off to bed.  The system outputs at 9600 bps and I didn't have to change
> any settings.  I setup minicom to default to 9600 and everything worked
> fine.  I didn't have to bump the speed up or down.

I think this is in the Belkin USB->Serial driver, but I can live with it for
now. I tried to add a call to set the baud to 9600 in the startup code, but
that wasn't happy with that...:-/ I reverted back to my original and will send
a message to the guy who wrote the driver (it says he didn't have any
information and snoop'd a Win box to get the information he was able to get).

> I can do either.  I'd prefer not to cross compile but it doesn't really
> matter.  I laptop is a powerpc machine and this is the machine I will be
> using when travelling and going to robotics competitions so this will be
> my default machine for compilation too (just in case I have to make some
> last minute hacks when on the road).

Well, I would prefer not to cross compile either, but in this case I would
need a ppc 823 chip to make it native, and that would be PAINFUL.

BTW, if you haven't seen, Linux Journal came out with a new magazine named
Embedded Linux Journal. In the current issue (2nd one to hit the shelves)
there is a pretty cool article by Bruce Perens titled "Building Tiny Linux
Systems with Busybox", which is pretty cool, he shows how to create a system
that boots off a floppy using busybox with compression. The project I'm
working on is using busybox, it's very cool for embedded. I just checked
online, but that article is not there, but listed.

> MacOS is good, but it doesn't compare to the flexibility of Linux or
> some other the other free UNIX clones.  Debian is my system of choice.

MacOS is ok, but quite honestly when I got my PowerBook I was disappointed in
the fact that MacOS crashes as much as it does (not as often as Win, which I
won't use, but enough that it is an embarrassment to Apple, IMO). My linux
boxes never go down like MacOS, and it's nice to have a functional linux on my
PowerBook. Mac OSX public beta is more stable than Mac OS9, but the BSD core
is hacked up so most of the ports wouldn't work on it anyway...Apple is
painting themselves in the corner, IMO. They should have gone with Linux and
added Aqua on top of it. None the less, Linux works better for me than Mac
OSX, and most all of my tools are available for ppc linux that I've used on
i386 linux.

As far as distros, I only use Debian on my linux boxes, and when I was hired
for the current project I'm working on, my boss said I could use Debian, even
though the rest of the people use Red Hat (they didn't know any better, and
they are starting to see the apt-get light at the end of the tunnel...;-)

It was pretty painful getting Debian going on the PowerBook, and getting
things setup. Much worse than I would expect most people to be dragged
through. I hope others had an easier time...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.