using Quik with Performa 6360

I know the installation of Debian on OWM is a sore spot right now, but
I have overcome the oft-mentioned boot-floppies failure by grabbing a
floppy image created for OWM's.  The machine boots Quik fine, though
I am unable to direct OF to use kbd/screen for io (claim error).  Here
is a log of what happens when I try to boot kernel 2.2.18pre21:

Open Firmware, 2.0
To continue booting the MacOS
type:                                             BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device
type:                          BOOT<return>
ok
0 > printenv
boot-device
boot-device         ata/@0:0
/AAPL,ROM                                ok
0 > printenv
boot-file
boot-file
ok
0 > printenv
load-base
load-base           4000
4000
ok
0 > boot
Second-stage QUIK loader
boot: linux
Starting at 0
no active packageopening display /valkyrie@F1000000DEFAULT CATCH!,
code=FFF0070  ok
0 >

a usenet search yeilded one hit for this error with a vague mention of
changing load-base to fix it.
I haven't tried changing load-base yet.  I really do not know what it is
and would rather not touch it until I do.

Welp, really..  I'm at a loss..  Anyone have a clue of what this
valkyrie error is all about?

Regards,
Daniel