Re: debian-powerpc: how do I use the keyspan usb-serial device ???

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:08:36PM +1100, Brendan Simon wrote:
> I've got a Keyspan USB to Serial converter (2 x mini 8 DIN) and want to
> use it to connect to an RS232 port on another machine.  I've downloaded
> the source for kernel 2.4.2 and compiled in the Keyspan driver as a
> module but I don't actually know how to use it with minicom.  Do I use a
> ttyS* or something similar ??
>
> BTW: Now that I am using devfs, I don't have a /dev/modem. nor do I have
> any /dev/ttyS* devices  Do I still need a /dev/modem ???  If so, what do
> I do to get it back ?

if you look at the kernel logs when you modprobe keyspan you will notice it
registers some serial devices, basically if not using devfs, you need to
make a /dev/ttyUSB0 etc (/var/log/syslog should have the kernel messages, or
dmesg) make the devices as you would any other, use the major and minor
numbers mentioned in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/