Re: Debian on RS/6000 B50

tom_gall@vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> German Poo Caaman~o wrote:
> > Christophe Suire wrote:
> > > I have install a Debian 2.2rev2 on a B50 using the kernel of YellowDog
> >
> > How did you do it?
> [...]
> The problem that you're running into now is that you need to partition your
> disk. It has an AIX disklabel on it, so you need to create a new
> disklabel on it.
>
> Start up the SuSE YAST installer, Alt-F2 over (or was it F4 ... one
> of those 8-) to the command line when you get up to the partition
> step and invoke fdisk by hand onto the volume in question.

I tryied different ways, but I can't get a shell :-(  The F keys
was working in Yast.  I know because I got help wih '1' and 'F1',
win Ctrl+'5' I rebooted the machine, etc.  With LVM I got and
error (number 98 AFAIR).

BTW, the problem about the partition was solved.  It was very
strange, Yast couln't find my hard disk, so I installed Aix
4.3.3 again (it booted but it didn't work), I tryied again
with Yast and I can partitioning the disk.

I was thinking in opening the chassis (and it would be lost the
warranty) and partition the disk in another computer, but it
was fine at my last try.

> Now go into the installer and have at it... should just work.
> After you're installed I'd recommend going up to a later 2.4.x
> kernel from fsmlabs.com

I thought that all my problems would be solved.  But the Yast
didn't work for install :-(  I save my configuration on
disk, but it didn't recognize the source media (FTP).

I booted from the CD (bo80.img), and I choose network install
(FTP).  The ramdisk and Yast was loaded successfully.  If
I select Install, appears a screen asking for the media,
I keep the same parameters, but the source media doesn't
right.

I downloaded all tree of PPC 7.0 from SuSE (and Debian, too).

is it need to buy SuSE-CD's for get an successfully installation?

I only want install Debian.

Thanks in advance, and please accept my apologizes for a lot
of questions about SuSE (I read the sdb from SuSE, but isn't
enough).

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo@ubiobio.cl