Re: Help with X on iBook?

Gianluca Amato wrote:

> > well you researched the other problems (congrats! :). You need
> >
> >    Option "UseFBDev"
> >
> > or
> >
> >    Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"
> >
> > in the Device Section. Either should do, but the first one only works with
> > aty128fb.
>
> What's the meaning of these options?

The former one makes the driver use the framebuffer device (aty128fb) for
setting up modes, colormaps, etc. The latter one keeps it from programming the
flat panel registers if the chip has any.

> Are they needed only for 8bit depth mode?

No.

> Since I have an imac with Ati Rage 128 and I do not need any of them.

They are mainly needed for machines with flat panels (mostly notebooks)
because the flat panel code in XFree86 4.0.2 seems to be broken.

*news flash*

I just had an interesting idea: The flat panel code could never determine the
panel dimensions because our machines don't have a BIOS. So I specified them
with

    Option "PanelWidth" "1024"
    Option "PanelHeight" "768"

and it works without any of the options I have mentioned here a thousand
times! (iBook users will have to use 800 and 600 of course) This kind of
enables mode switching, but everyone should be aware that *this may damage
your panel* . You've been warned.

Now I just wonder if we could detect the panel dimensions somehow...