Help with X on iBook?

Greetings!

So far, my attempt of installing Debian 2.2.18pre21 has been
successful, with the exception of X.  Any hints on how to get
X working properly would be appreciated.

The machine:

   latest model FW iBook 366 (no DVD drive, but has
   the NTSC and PAL video out options).

Brief description of problem:

   X only sort of works... and slightly better after
   recompiling.  Main problem is that the colour-map
   in 8-bit mode is misbehaving (well at least I have
   persuaded black and white to be black and white).

   I have tried just about everything suggested that I
   could find on the web (could not find the 2.4 kernel
   source though), and nothing seems to work well.  Any hints
   before I start trying to dissect the 2.2.18pre21
   aty128fb.c ?  Is the secret ingredient the 2.4 kernel?
   Any hints on minimising the number of times I need to
   reboot while testing?

Long story:

   First attempt to boot install CD was naturally unsuccessful.
   Found usual solution of booting from OF on web.
   This went smoothly (well, as smoothly as a first install
   can be) until X.  Mouse problem fixed after some trial and
   error (the usual solution of choosing the PS/2 mouse option
   and input from /dev/input/mouse0---the command
      od -c /dev/devicename
   is very useful for determining if you have found things like
   the keyboard).

   This is where the fun started.  X boots, but
    1. colours are all messed up (white mapped to blue, black
       something other than black etc)
    2. keyboard did not work properly (only in X, it worked fine
       in console mode).

   After much stuffing around and a recompile, the keyboard
   started working properly.  No idea why, but X needed to
   be recompiled on my iBook before the keyboard would behave.

   XFree4.0.2 does not work at all at the moment.  The r128
   driver option appears to crash the machine no matter what
   I try.  It does so even if it appears to detect and do all
   the right things (by comparison against some of the posted
   log files).  Have not actually tried it with a telnet
   session running though, so I am not completely sure.
   Interesting crash though, what with the screen slowly going
   white, then black again...

Cheers,

Kin Hoong