Re: BootX and the Stuffit Fiasco.

>On 02/22/2001 17:49, "Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 01:28:04PM -0500, Advertising wrote:
>>
>> all the problems you describe are the fault of Aladdin and thier
>> proprietary crap product and monopolistic practices.
>
>With all respect, that is nonsense. Any problems are the fault of whoever
>originally picked Stuffit for packaging free software. No one is making you
>use Stuffit. If you don't like that format then you're free to find
>something you do like, reverse engineer it or write your own replacement
>from scratch.

Right, that's my fault ;)

If I get some time tomorrow, I'll repackage it as a macbinary, and a
tarball containing a macbinary. All versions of stuffit (included with
macos) and other free tools can decode macbinary (but not all versions of
stuffit can decode the tarball and that's the only expander actually
bundled with the OS).

AppleSingle was a nice idea, but the standard is really macbinary and it
is more widely supported.

Ben.