Re: getting kernel 2.4.2-pre3 to work

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:03:25PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:57:38PM -0800, Grant Miller wrote:
> > > $ mkdir linux-pmac-stable
> > > $ cd linux-pmac-stable
> > > $ rsync -avz --delete ppc.linuxcare.com::linux-pmac-devel .
> >
> > penguinppc.org also carries up to date trees.
>
> Which tree for 2.4 is the best to run a working system?  It looks like the
> external trees have been closed for 2.2 on ppc.  Am I right?

the best way to keep a working system is to use 2.2 kernels ;-)

but for 2.4 i imagine paulus tree is best.  the bk tree is bleeding
edge.  there is no need to 2.2 trees anymore, 2.2.18 and 2.2.19pre13
and later are perfectly fine.

> I was looking at the reiserfs web site yesterday, and it said that there were
> reports of their FS working on x86 and ppc.  Was there an old version that
> didn't have endian problems?  Is this also true for the patch for 2.2 kernels?

they must have an interesting definition of `working' then  reiserfs
works fine on x86 of course, but its totally broken on powerpc.  Jeffm
has it compiling and to where `touch foo' causes a kernel panic if you
call that working more power to ya.

the current versions of reiserfs do not work on big endian
archtectures, such as powerpc, sparc and m68k to name a few.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/