Re: getting kernel 2.4.2-pre3 to work

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:57:38PM -0800, Grant Miller wrote:
> > $ mkdir linux-pmac-stable
> > $ cd linux-pmac-stable
> > $ rsync -avz --delete ppc.linuxcare.com::linux-pmac-devel .
>
> penguinppc.org also carries up to date trees.

Which tree for 2.4 is the best to run a working system?  It looks like the
external trees have been closed for 2.2 on ppc.  Am I right?

> you don't need to move the source to /usr/src/linux it can be
> anywhere.  /usr/local/src is really a better place.
>
> reiserfs is totally broken on big endian archetectures, which means no
> reiserfs for powerpc or sparc.  (it also used to be 64 bit dirty which
> ruled out alpha, that might be fixed though.) see penguinppc.org for
> jeffm's work on rewriting reiserfs to be portable.
> --
> Ethan Benson

I was looking at the reiserfs web site yesterday, and it said that there were
reports of their FS working on x86 and ppc.  Was there an old version that
didn't have endian problems?  Is this also true for the patch for 2.2 kernels?

Mike