Re: [Q] Upgrading the kernel to run MOL

On 24 Shevat 5761, wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to get mol running on my debian potato install.  I
> downloaded the mol rpm of version 0.9.53-2, aliened and installed
> it.  After a few other steps I, molstart notified me that it needs
> kernel 2.0.4-test10.

As far as this part of your problem (which is not the worst part now,
as you have related, sorry), they should have an RPM that was built
for the 2.2.x kernels.  It worked OK for me with warnings (but I ended
up compiling it myself and running it as part of troubleshooting
another problem; it wasn't that hard, but you do need a few extra
devel packages installed, search the list in Nov. and Dec. for a few
clues on this).

I am happily running MOL right this minute with 2.2.18 and potato.

I don't think I would ever upgrade my kernel without compiling it
myself, by the way.  Too likely to bring about troubles like you
describe.  Compiling your own kernel isn't that difficult either.  If
you tell the list what your hardware is perhaps some kind soul will
send you a .config file for the kernel build that will match (I've got
an 8600 and I think most of you people are NewWorld users these
days).
--
Charles Sebold