Re: X 4.0.2 issues...

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:44:50PM +0000, Sergio Brandano wrote:

>  Just a note.
>
>  Was X version 4 supposed to be that magic next step,
>  where companies like ATI and Matrox could make
>  their own drivers? Was X version 4 supposed to have

Yes, but only NVIDIA is doing it, both matrox and ATI are contributing the
code back to XFree86, well as much as they can anyway.

>  a mechanism for which these drivers could be addedd
>  modularly with no need to hack the main code? Was

Well, yes, but the main support code is still changing and evolving.

I guess that it is possible to have proprietary driver that work well with XF
4.0.2 for example, like the nvidia drivers. Don't know if they have ppc
versions of them though.

>  that one of the reasons why we could not have a free
>  version of X Version 4? If so, why is that we are

Not anyone aggreed with that philosophy though, and we stiull have a free
version of XFree86 4.

>  now having this problem in running an ATI driver?

well, i guess mainly it is because not enough of the XFree86 developpers are
running on ppc, care to join ?

Anyway, ATI paid the people at Precision Insight, now VA Research, to do the
Xfree driver fro them.

That said, XFree86, despite it's .0.2 version number has still not yet reached
it's final state, and probably never will.

Friendl,y

Sven Luther