Re: Cube installation boot problems

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 02:24:05PM -0500, Ian Neath wrote:
> I have a 500 MHz Cube and a 2.2r2 CD.  I burned the CD myself, and it is
> readable when I boot Mac OS 9.04.  MD5 checksums are OK.  I got the image
> at ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian-cd/stable/official/2.2_rev2/powerpc/,
> selecting NONUS.iso (652080 Kb Fri Dec  8 06:49:00 2000).
>
> Under OS 9, I used Drive Setup to create 3 partitions:
>   1.  1 MB (smallest allowed)
>   2.  5 gig HFS+ (for dual booting)
>   3.  remaing ~15 gig HFS standard

read http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk.basics.  this
explains how to properly create partitions shared between linux and
macos.  it involves creating a single placeholder partition with
apples tool, then deleting it in linux and creating the 800K
Apple_Bootstrap and linux partitions.

> The notes I found suggested the inital partition needed to be of type
> Apple_Bootstrap, but that is not an option from Drive Setup.  I tried both
> HFS standard and HFS+.

you must create that partition in linux with mac-fdisk.

> I reinstalled OS 9 on the 5 gig partition.
>
> I am unable to boot from the cd by either (1) holding down c or (2)
> invoking apple-alt-o-f and then entering either (1) boot cd:\\yaboot or
> (2) boot cd:\install\powermac\yaboot or (3) those two commands with a
> comma after the colon.  (I've seen both forms suggested on the list.)
>
> OF gives me the following:
>
> Apple PwerMac 5, 1 3.2f1 BootROM built on 07/10/00 at 17:11:57
>
> With either of the yaboot commands, Debian tries to boot but I get the
> message "wrong partition 1 signature" and then the screen flashes a couple
> of times, there is another message I can't quite read, then the system
> hangs (monitor goes blank).

the kernel is failing it would appear.  the Wrong partition 1
signature is normal when yaboot runs off a CD, ignore it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/