Re: best way to swissgerman keyboard for pismo under 2.4 and XF4?

> On i386 I managed the problem with xmodmap, but is this still a good
> way now? I try changing keymaps, but I cannot bring for example
> Control-Shift keycode 33 = bracketleft does´t work.

Yes, xmodmap should work as before, but you may not be able to use the
same .Xmodmap file.

If you haven't already, you may need to check the keycode number. The
powerpc kernel uses Mac ADB keycodes by default, so the numbers are not
the same as i386. Use 'xev' in X or 'showkey' from the console to see
which keycode corresponds to a given key.

> Somebody told me, that it is even possible to use i386 keymaps, but
> how?

If you have a 2.2.18 or newer kernel (including 2.4.x), you can switch
from Mac-style to i386-style keycodes by passing this kernel argument:

  keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1

Before you begin using the kernel argument, be sure to use 'kdbconfig' to
change your default keymap to an i386 one. Otherwise you won't be able to
type when you first boot up. You can also switch on the fly by doing:

  echo 1 >/proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes

After you have switched, you can use 'loadkeys' to load a standard
i386 keymap, by running for example 'loadkeys sg'.

If you want the X server to use your console keymap unchanged, just
include this line in the keyboard section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

  Option "XkbDisable"