XFree86 4.x

Last week I decided to install XFree86 4.x. Since it was still in unstable at
that time (it arrived in woody the day after :-), I upgraded part of my stuff
to unstable. While my intention was to keep using the 3.x server, Debian
decided to make the 4.x server the default without asking me: /etc/X11/Xserver
still pointed to the old one, while the new /etc/X11/Xwrapper pointed to the
new one.

Surprisingly I didn't immediately notice: I had a running X in gdm, but it was
a bit different (1024x768 in 75 Hz). And I couldn't log in because the partial
upgrade had removed the old package that contained sessreg. After installing
the new sessreg, I could login again (of course).

When trying to run the server using the autogenerated config (XFree86
-configure), it didn't want to run because of troubles with my second video
card (first card is RAGE II+ with OF ROM, second card is uninitialized S3
Trio64V+ with PC BIOS ROM). After disabling the second head, XFree86 started
and finally did what I had expected: lock up the system hard :-)

So the default config works fine, the autogenerated config doesn't.  Note that
I haven't played with UseFBDev options yet. That's for some other moment....

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds