Re: Printer conundrum

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 01:17:15PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Paul Talacko wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:39:20AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > > How soon do you need this working, and how much of a hacker are you?  I managed to
> > > get docs for the PowerPrint mac serial to parallel converter, which goes for about
> > > $50, but my serial programming ability is so limited I couldn't get anything to
> > > work at all.
> > >
> > > If we can get something to work, this will be a great mac Linux printing option!
> > >
> > > Doc at: http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/PP3_rev_1_1.html
> > >

> > This is a great idea. What have you tried?  Did you just set up a filter file?
> > What is your printcap like?  When using the PowerPrint in Mac OS, do you have
> > to choose a PowerPrint driver or do you use a normal driver for the printer?
>
> Hmm, it's a bit complicated.  I can't even to get the cable to reply to my serial
> "packets".  Once that's working, there must be a layer in between the printer drivers
> from, say, magicfilter or printtool, and the serial port, as the data have to be
> shifted out to the cable's custom ASIC in non-standard packets.
>
> In other words, if anything worked, it would be a great idea. :-)
>
> But in the meantime, kudos to InfoWave for at least giving us the specs.  Now if
> I could only find a good serial reference for some kind of standard way to send
> "packets" to the serial port...  After that it should be pretty easy, then we can
> increase their sales by 2% or so. :-)

There was a bit of a discussion about this on the linuxppc list.  The general
consensus there was "it's too complicated, go and buy a localtalk to ethernet
bridge or an ethernet to parallel box.  They are slightly more expensive, but
easy to set up and they WORK".

However, one person managed to get PowerPrint printing half a page before it
froze.  He posted a copy of his printcap and his filter.  I could post them up
here if people don't object.

So it seems to work a bit.

Paul