Re: installing Debian 2.2r2 on iMac DV SE(summer 2000)

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 06:46:21PM -0700, christenson.dave@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> >From a newbie (never installed Linux before,very limited exposure to UNIX
> command line, mostly familiar with Win95 and MacOS applications)

i reccommend you aquire a shell account on someone elses machine and
get comfortable with the unix command line before attempting to jump
right into installation.

> What level of skills and time commitment are necessary to install and
> maintain the Debian PowerPC distribution on a new G4 Mac?

you need to know basic shell commands, and syntax.  you also must have
basic knowledge of unix text editors, you really must know the
absolute basics of vi as its a standard editor which is nearly always
present.  you should be familer with network services and how to
disable/enable them properly.

> How does this compare to installing and maintaining the Yellow Dog
> distribution?

GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux you need all the above skills for any distro.
I find yellowdog (which is just redhat) to be much harder to maintain
as redhat obfuscates things and trys to hide the underlying system
from you.  this usually leads to more misconfiguration and security
holes since you need to work more to get troublesome services
disabled.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/