Re: X on G4 with ATI Rage 128 Pro and LCD Panel

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> > > Yes, it's unaccelerated. X 4.x (hint: it's in testing now! :) has a well
> > > accelerated driver.
> > That leads me back to the question for to the name of the debian package
> > to give to apt-get source --compile to get X4 compiled. I seem to be
> > unable to find that by myself.
>
> I already told you the name is 'xfree86' ;)
Ah, yes, I now do (with sources.listing pointing to unstable for sources)

apt-get source --compile xserver-xfree86

which seems to be the right thing. Now I find out which tools X needs to
build, like bison, flex etc. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a way to
restart the build where it left off after a make error, I always restart
from square one by doing the apt-get ... command again. I am sure that
there is a better way of doing this ... I tried to go to
xfree86-4.0.2/build-tree/xc and doing "make" there but that wouldn't cut
it. At least the 500 MHz G4 is fast.

> Anyway, why don't you upgrade to testing? It has X4 now.
Good question, perhaps. I suppose once I have suffered enough with XF3 or
building XF4 myself I'll switch to testing.

Cheers, and thanks for your patience with silly questions! Stefan

---Stefan Kluth---------------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth@mppmu.mpg.de--------------