Re: Newbie Install Question on Umax S900 -- addendum

Thanks Steve, I ran e2fsck /dev/sdb4 and told it "yes" on all the errors and on reboot everything worked as with the initial install. Unfortunately, now i'm back where I started with the following errors on startup:

Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: this error may be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/ds.0: init_module: device or resource busy
Hint: this error can  caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
 cardmgr.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
/bin/sh: /sbin/termwrap: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: exec: /sbin/termwrap: cannot execute: No such file or directory

<<< a bunch of the above lines repeated numerous times >>>

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

After this point, the system waits for a couple of minutes before displaying the same: "/bin/sh: /sbin/termwrap: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: exec: /sbin/termwrap: cannot execute: No such file or directory"
error a gazillion times more.

Has anyone run into this before? I have tried using several different kernels and I get the same errors with each. Is there an option in the initial install that I am missing?

Thanks for any help!

Ted Swinyar, swinte@wwc.edu
http://www.randomworks.com/

>>> sjh@svana.org - 1/28/01 4:35 AM >>>
On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:38:56AM -0800, Ted Swinyar wrote:
> scsi1: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 3, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 67 1d 07 00 00 80 00
> Info fld=0x671d24, Current sd08:14: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:14, sector 6033200
>
> this is repeated several times on the screen and is followed by:

well I dont now if thsese are bad or not

> Error reading block 754150 (attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.
>
> /dev/sdb4: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>  (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To emount is read-write:
> #mount -n -o remount,rw /
>
> Finally, this is followed by the message:
>
> Control-D will exit from this shell and reboot the system. Give root password for maintenance (or type control-D for normal startup):
>
> Is this normal? Is my hard disk hosed? This disk is an older external scsi disk running off the onboard external scsi that has worked faithfully for me for the past couple of years.

yes this is normal

the system had mounted the disks when it started trying to run daemons and
such earlier, then it was shutdown without a clean unmount, the file system
was in use as daemons were starting and such. Just do as it asks, log in
using the root password or possibly bolank if you never got the chance to
set one. Run "e2fsck /dev/sdb4" (the disk it is trying to mount) and say yes
to all the errors and such it finds, then hit control d and it should reboot
and you can see what happens when it tries to come up.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/