keyboard problems

I've got a keyboard problem with the right shift key that I'm hoping for
some help on.

While running showkey, if I press and hold the right shift key, and then
press and release a regular key, and then release the shift key, I get the
following:

keycode 56 press
keycode 56 press
keycode 56 release
keycode 56 release

The middle two lines are generated when I press and then release the
regular key.  The first and last lines are generated when I first press and
hold the shift key, and then when I release it.

If I press and hold the right shift key, and press and release a regular
key (in this case, the 'b' key, but it makes no difference which key), and
then press and release a regular key again, and then release the shift key,
I get the following:

keycode 56 press       <--- press and hold right shift key
keycode 56 press       <--- press 'b' key
keycode 56 release     <--- release 'b' key
keycode  1 press       <--- press 'b' key a second time
keycode  1 release     <--- release 'b' key
keycode 56 release     <--- release right shift key

So the question is, what keyboard god did I offend?  This doesn't seem to
be a problem that I can solve with a different keymap.  This is a 7200/75
with a standard Mac ADB keyboard.  Naturally the right shift key is useless
to me, but it works fine under MacOS.