Re: Problem installing debian on G3 beige

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 05:09:04PM -0800, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> It isn't a problem with COFF v. ELF or any of that.  The kernel boots, it just doesn't get the ADB keyboard
> working/functional.  Once you paw through 57 different doc sources, you can get BootX to work, and then go from there.
> If you don't already have a MacOS partition running, you are probably in an pretty tough spot.

apparently something is broken on the current boot floppies, hopefully
they will be upgraded soon.  but that is really Dan's department.

> The CDROM drive won't boot the CD, I assumed it is because this old machine isn't capable, but I don't know.  I tried a
> new SCSI CDROM drive in it, it refused to even recognize the drive on boot up.

the CDs are NOT bootable on any oldworld mac, with any kind of CDROM.
this has been discussed many times.  Oldworld will likely never have
bootable CDs in the near future.  (unless someone either writes a
oldworld CDROM bootloader that does not require proprietary Apple
CD drivers or writes a Free replacement for Apple's CD drivers)

> Another humorous bug is that during the install, it says "make the system bootable from the hard drive?" and of course
> you say "yes", and it acts like it did something excellent, but it didn't.  I think this part of the install is a noop on
> PPC, is that right?  Should be #ifdef'd out.

no it should not, it does work on oldworld powerpc (*not* newworld
though, see the install docs).  if you read the install docs you will
see something like this:

IMPORTANT: The Make-Linux-Bootable-Directly-From-Hard-Disk step will
install quik, however it will not make the necessary modification to
OpenFirmware's boot-device variable.  This means that running
Make-Linux-Bootable-Directly-From-Hard-Disk will not cause Debian
GNU/Linux to be booted when you reboot.  To make Debian GNU/Linux boot
you need to select Execute-a-Shell and run:

nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda2`

where /dev/sda2 is your root partition. Perform this step after
running Make-Linux-Bootable-Directly-From-Hard-Disk.

read the installation docs
read the installation docs
read the installation docs
read the installation docs
read the installation docs

it can't be said enough.

yes they are not perfect but they do answer half the questions that
are asked on this list every other day.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/