RE: X starts, but it displays strange things

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > scan
> > though.
> > >
> > > Perhaps because the RAGE128 needs line lenghts that are multiples of
> > 64?
> >
> > Does it? If that's the case, why would the X server not honor the pitch
> > (as it seems, from the description of the staircase effect)?
> >
> > But maybe that wasn't caused by the pitch/line_len but by weird mode
> > settings. hsync 28-38 and vsync 43-50 still look crummy to me though.
>
> Definetely,
> My XF86Config for iBook users (although you'll need to change r128 to ati as I
> understood) has the correct timings for the LCD screen.
> That is:
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Apple Computer"
>         ModelName    "LCD Screen"
>         HorizSync    30-40
>         VertRefresh  60-70
>         Mode "800x600"
>                 DotClock 40.001
>                 HTimings 800 858 986 1056
>                 VTimings 600 601 605 628
>                 Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
>         EndMode
> EndSection

No change, sorry.  Still claims a pitch of 832, and the screen is still
screwed up.  Note that the vsync 43-50 was a hack to force the driver to
use the fb settings by invalidating the built in modes.  The r128 doesnt
seem to require a multiple of 64 line width, as it works OK against the
fb, but it may perfer it.

-- Michael