RE: X starts, but it displays strange things

Quoting Michael Schmitz <schmitz@zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>:

> > > It's what you suspect: the offset between the start of consecutive
> scan
> > > lines in memory. No idea why the r128 driver would pick that pitch
> though.
> >
> > Perhaps because the RAGE128 needs line lenghts that are multiples of
> 64?
>
> Does it? If that's the case, why would the X server not honor the pitch
> (as it seems, from the description of the staircase effect)?
>
> But maybe that wasn't caused by the pitch/line_len but by weird mode
> settings. hsync 28-38 and vsync 43-50 still look crummy to me though.

Definetely,
My XF86Config for iBook users (although you'll need to change r128 to ati as I
understood) has the correct timings for the LCD screen.
That is:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Apple Computer"
        ModelName    "LCD Screen"
        HorizSync    30-40
        VertRefresh  60-70
        Mode "800x600"
                DotClock 40.001
                HTimings 800 858 986 1056
                VTimings 600 601 605 628
                Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

I'd like both of the persons who had problems (I think Michael Hope got it to
work though) to test this with their machines. Before blaming the driver, we
must make sure that the user is not causing the error (don't take that as an
insult, it's not one).
These timings are the same for old iBooks (mach64 based) and the new ones (r128
based) as the LCD is the same.

Cheers

/Bastien Nocera, who wants a 15" LCD screen on his iBook