Re: make-kpkg trying to build wrong type of kernel

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 06:29:44PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to compile 2.4.0 from paulus' tree, but make-kpkg fails
> because it tries to build the wrong type of kernel (a compressed one):
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `sImage', needed by `zImage'.  Stop.

it looks like the kernel is broken, make-kpkg uses the zImage target
intentionally, this way you also get a .coff format image which are [i
believe] useful on some machines.  you always get a uncompressed
kernel no matter what target which make-kpkg packs in addition to the
.coff.

> I tried fiddling around make-kpkg without much success.
> make vmlinux alone works.

how are you supposed to compile a coff format kernel on 2.4 now?
bzImage is a x86 specific thing, vmlinux at least for 2.2 kerenls
didn't bother to create anything but the uncompressed image.  i think
the fault is with the kernel on this one.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/