Re: debian-ppc on pismo anyone?

Otto wrote:

> so if anyone out there is happily using debian-ppc on their pismo, please
> let me know! otherwise, if you had trouble getting it to run, please save me
> some time and drop me a line, too. maybe I can even help you out..?

I have been very happily running unstable/testing for more than six months now
on this Pismo.

> I used ybin/yaboot to set up my boot configuration (works great). right now,
> I have the following partitions:
>
> 1 HFS  bootstrap
> 1 HFS+ MacOS 9.04
> 1 HFS+ MacOS X
> 1 ext2 LinuxPPC
> 1 swap
> 1 HFS  shared data
>
> for debian, I would like to convert the shared data partition to ext2 and
> use my swap partition for both debian and LinuxPPC.
> that way, I would only have to add an entry for debian in my yaboot conf -
> right?

I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work.

> as the debian-ppc port is quite new, are there any known problems I should
> know about?

The powerpc port has matured very much in the past months (thanks to Dan and
everybody!), there's no big difference to i386 anymore. But I'm sure I forget
about some problems which may come up when installing. ;) Anyway, as your
setup looks very safe against getting completely broken in the progress, you
should always be able to ask back here if they should show up.

Good luck and welcome to Debian,

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project