Re: Help Deciphering cron Messages in the syslog

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 08:19:03PM -0800, Donnell wrote:

> I've been seeing cron output in the syslog file and I'm not sure if it is
> "normal" output or error output.  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions
> as to what the problem(s) might be.  I include an excerpt from
> /var/log/syslog and the /etc/cron.d/exim file that contains the command
> referenced in the syslog.  Thanks.

> Jan  4 20:38:01 blacklab /USR/SBIN/CRON[1503]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x /usr/sbin/e
> xim -a -f /etc/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q >/dev/null 2>&1; fi)
> Jan  4 20:58:00 blacklab -- MARK --

>  - begin /etc/cron.d/exim -
> # /etc/cron.d/exim: crontab fragment for exim
> # Run queue every 30 minutes
> 08,38 *     * * *     mail   if [ -x /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q >/dev/null 2>&1; fi
>  - end /etc/cron.d/exim -

both those things are permantently normal.

The CRON thing running exim is just the xron entry you pasted here.
personally the exim queue run from cron shits me so I tend to run eximas a
daemon rather than run exim out of inetd, but hey

the MARK thing is just syslog, it puts that in the log once every 25 minutes
or so (cant remember the exact figure, and your output seems to have it at
20min/40min/20min/40mion/etc intervals) this can be disabled if you wish
(read man syslog or some such), however it is there just so you know your
machine is not dead among other things, when looking at log output.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh