Re: Questions about various upgrades: Netscape, XF etc.

Renaud Dreyer wrote:

>    I've been running potato on my PowerMac 7300 for almost a year now,
> and am wondering if it would be the time to upgrade various
> packages.
>
> First, I assume I can safely upgrade to the Netscape 4.7x packages
> in woody (or is it sid?)? I'm running Netscape 4.6 right now.

I'd say so, the only problems I've had with 4.7 are related to Roaming Access.

> Second, I've been running Xfree 3.98 (beta version of 4) for a while
> now and I'd love to upgrade to the "real" thing. Are the XF 4.02
> pacakges I keep reading about compatible with potato or only with
> woody/sid?

The latter. You could build them yourself on potato though.

> Sould I simply upgrade to sid/woody? I'm feeling a little bit
> squeamish about such a radical change.

Changing to testing (woody) shouldn't be too radical but will get you
everything you want soon.

unstable (sid) is not for the faint of heart.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project