Re: screen blanking different

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 06:44:26PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> For LCD displays, 0 will turn the backlight off. But that's not what
> setterm -powersave controls. AFAIK there's no choice in how to blank the
> fbcon display via setterm (are there blanking/powersave option hooks
> exported by the framebuffer drivers we could use for this?). fbcon just
> turns off backlight on LCDs, via atyfb_blank perhaps.

maybe i should clarify my question (mostly pertaining to desktops, but
laptops all the same)

currently after about 10 minutes idle the monitor is put into
powersave mode (this is console, no X) on x86 this behavior is
controled via setterm -powersave and setterm -powerdown.  these same
commands do nothing on powerpc.  AFAICT the only way to change the 10
minute timeout is to hack the kernel source and recompile a new
kernel.   i am asking to be proven wrong in that regard ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/