Re: IDE-problems

> > There's been a dma_intr status=0x00 message for the hda case as well,
> > apparently enabling the multiword DMA will generate a DMA interrupt.
> > Please note that the set multiword DMA 2 command succeeded earlier for hdc
> > during driver init. Seems the problem is only with this function being
> > used from ioctls.
>
> My understanding of the problem is incomplete, but I'll throw my

My understanding of the problem is far from complete - I'm just attempting
to cook up some testable hypotheses to close in on the core of the
problem. I rely on the true experts to correct me if I'm saying something
totally stupid.

> information in the pot and say I often see this sort of error during boot,
> and sometimes the system recovers and continues, and othertimes it locks
> up before the login prompt appears and I have to reboot and try
> again.  Also, the problem seems to happen more often with the 2.2.17pre5
> kernel I got out of frozen than the old 2.2.15pre? kernel that was
> originally packaged in frozen...

OK, there goes the 'its OK from kernel space' hypothesis. But it's still
only happening with the 3400 IDE, and it's not happening with kernels
prior to 2.2.15?

New hypothesis: generic too short timeout - please increase timeout to
5000 in wait_for_ready.

	Michael