Re: Helix GNOME, report of compilation

Quoting Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:52:12PM +0200, hadess@writeme.com wrote:
> > Quoting Sven LUTHER <luther@debian.org>:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Just a question, ...
> > >
> > > what is the true benefit from running helix gnome in place of
> official
> > > debian
> > > gnome packages ?
> >
> > Hum... They're up-to-date ! If you know where I can get the official
> debian
> > packages for these updated packages (I looked in potato and in woody):
> > 1- Just tell me
> > 2- You could have told me last week when I first asked ! (j/k)
>
> Well, there are a batch of uptodate i386 binary package that just got in
> the
> archive lately (at least i think so, they are numbered 1.2.4-1 and the
> like).
> (just updated them today on my work i386 box here)
>
> This are woody source packages, but i think there was no woody planned
> for ppc
> until potato is released, but still i guess you could compile the said
> source
> package and upload them to woody.
>
> That said, my question was more to know if there are some real
> difference
> between the packages in woody (well the new uptodate ones) and the ones
> from
> helix, apart from the new install and configuration stuff the helix guys
> did
> do, but which is pointless for a debian system anyway, since i would
> much
> prefer to have official debian packages than some packages that could
> mess my
> system up.

Well, no real differences, but by using helix stuff, I'm sure that the packages
will always be up-to-date, Peter has done a very good job at making the packages
behave like real debian packages, not like alien-ated RPMs.
And because I recompile the Helix packages on a potato installation, every
program works w/ potato.

> Also i guess there are some package in helix that are not yet in
> debian/woody,
> am i right in thinking this ? and if yes, what are they ?
Well, I couldn't find any of the updated .deb you're talking about... Please,
dig it, and I'll tell you.

Apart from that having everything that makes up my desktop in one place is
quite handy...

Cheers

/Hadess