Re: RS/6000 installation woes

Matthew Davis wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I am trying for the first time to install Debian Potato on a 4-way IBM
> F50.  I made the rescue.bin and root.bin disks, and I burned a cd with
> all the other necessities (base2_2.tgz, drivers.tgz, etc).  I am having
> trouble right off the bat however, as I cannot seem to get the F50 to
> boot properly.  The F50 is a chrp machine, but that is about all I know
> about it.  At the "OK Prompt" in the firmware, I tell it to
>
> "boot floppy:,linux root=/dev/fd0"

try

boot floppy:,\linux root=/dev/fd0

etc etc

This is assuming that your floppy is an MSDOS formated diskette and that linux
is the name of the file on your diskette that is your kernel that you want to
boot.

> and it doesn't find the kernel (or something else wrong is happening).
> I am using the 2.2.15 kernel on the rescue.bin disk.  I'm honestly not
> sure if I'm even issuing the right command to tell it to boot tot he
> image on the floppy.  Is there a known issue with Chrp machines and
> 2.2.15?  Is there anyone out there that has used Debian on an F50
> before?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Gall - PowerPC Linux Team    "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth