Trying to boot a PowerMac 4400/200

Hello,

I'm trying to switch from some old LinuxPPC version to Debian. My
PowerMac 4400/200 seems to be more broken than even normal ones,
though...

First I created boot disks (with 'dd' on a well-working
Debian-Intel-PC). The first disk works fine (it boots with
the Penguin icon, then boots Linux until it asks for the root
disk). Well, the font is not very readable, but it's ok as since I
know what should be there and it's readable enough for that...
But then it never can read the root disk, therefore can't mount
anything and eventually reboots... So, no success...

Now, I tried to use this Boot_X program from the little Mac partition
that's there from years ago... (following the description by Kent
West, that he mailed here...). Well, my Netscape 3.0 can't get the
file as sit-archive, so I tried 'fetch'. Which gets it as sit-file
just fine, it seems. But unfortunately my Mac is still not intelligent
enough to extract the Boot_X_...sit file (which is the difference to
Kent's PowerMac 4400/200...). It always claims that the archive is
corrupted and that there is either an 'unexpected eof' or that 'file
locked up'. Well, it doesn't expand it, so again, no success...

This Mac drives me crazy. The window is too small, so it survived up
to now... Argh...

Well, if anyone has any idea how I could convince my Mac to just boot
Debian so that I can install something, it would be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks,
bye,
	Uwe

--
Uwe Muench, Dep. of Physics and Astronomy, 223 Phys. Bldg., Univ. of
Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211,    Phone (private): +1-573-442-6504