Re: debian on the 7200

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 03:48:52PM -0400, Kevin Puetz wrote:

> true, how true. the question is what all is available to miBoot to use in the
> way of lib functions - I guess it must have file access though or it couldn't
> open the kernel :-)

it could just implement the code it needs on its own, there is no
reason it must only use Mac functions.  if yaboot can do it in the
confines of BrokenFirmware miboot can certainly do it too.

the other thing miboot really needs IMO is the abilty to lead the
kernel from ext2fs.

> I have read it does if you have seperate disks (forgot to mention that
> requirement). Never tried though.

i have tried it when i had to dual boot multiple versions of macos on
my 7100, its very flaky and fickle.  i always ended up wasting more
time then it would take to just wait for one to boot and use the
StartupDisk control panel.  but that is not really an option once its
miboot that boots by default since there is no way to get out of it.

> > given macos' very predatory behaviour regarding `fake' systems miboot
> > is not that great for dual boot situations (that and its inability to
> > chain load)
>
> well, again, in my place, MacOS will tolerate miBoot if you give it a real
> 'Finder' file. It lets you make linux and macos sepetate independent boots, at

yes if you give it a REAL (not a zero length) finder it will tolerate
it. but that makes you bloat the size of the miboot partition even
further.  (i loath wasted space, especially since oldworld macs, unless
you replaced the disk, are not going to have as much space to throw away)

> least, although it doesn't remove the requirement to own macos. fwiw, if one
> doesn't have a copy of macos to grab a 'Finder' file from why do one care
> about macos's 'predatory' handling of fake systems, and where did you get your

well true, if you have no macos its not much of a problem.

> mac rom for miBoot from? :-)

huh?  the mac rom is in hardware on oldworlds...

> Actually, since I tried out System Disk (an apple util from Darwin to patch
> and configure OF, likely opensource though I haven't yet looked) my OF-boot
> (w/ quik) got lots more solid, so maybe I'll just leave it be :-)

that seems to be the best solution, is to rewrite OF patches to
stabelize OF.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/