Re: QUIK on the 7200

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> not at all, my point is that oldworld powermacs are worthless for
> anything more important then occasional tinkering to blow time.

My old 603e mac clone is not only used for development and regular desktop
applications; it also runs my web server, and has two text terminals
attached to support up to three local logins at once. Since its last
hardware upgrade six months ago, its only downtime was during a power
outage. It has never crashed running Linux. "Worthless?" No.

Ethan, we appreciate the work you've done to help newworld PowerMac users
boot their machines. Please remember though that Linux developers are a
diverse group. Not everyone uses Linux for the same reasons you do, or has
the same expectations of how it should work.

There's a wide world of PowerPC hardware beyond Apple's PowerMacs. If you
want to ignore it, that's fine. But please don't insult those who want a
useful operating system on the hardware that they own now. And be careful
about your assumptions --- much of that hardware is quite different from
the Apple machines you are used to, and its users' needs are different as
well.