Re: QUIK on the 7200

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 10:50:40AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > Uh, mine's been stable for quite some time.  Your attitude seems to have been
> > influenced by Apple's practice of planned obsolescence- no reason to support
> > perfectly good oldworlds when we can force the masses to buy new ones!  Might
> > as well scrap the whole m68k Debian distro, and its dirs in the kernel source,
> > right?
>
> not at all, my point is that oldworld powermacs are worthless for
> anything more important then occasional tinkering to blow time.

Mine makes a fine mail server/firewall.  In the two years it's been
running linux, it's crashed *once* from a hardware failure (disk going
bad).  The only other downtime was during a blackout.  It sits
underneath my desk, so I can get to it during those rare occasions
that I can't ssh in, which has really been only during clean installs.

> i don't find a machine that requires dozens of fscking attempts to
> build a working kernel for suitable for anything important,  they are
> nearly impossible to remotely administer given the 99% chance the damn
> thing won't boot if you replace a kernel.  i don't know about you but
> i have better things to do then run around to the console of servers
> to fsck with boot loaders.  and if the machine is security critical
> (has users etc) i better damn well be able to upgrade the kernel *now*
> and not have to screw with it for days, weeks, monthes to get it
> working (if ever)

To replace the kernel you mount the macos partition, rename the old
kernel and replace it with the new one.  Sure, it takes an extra 15-30
seconds to reboot, but I don't change the kernel that often, so it's
not really a big deal for me.

> my opinion is this:
>
> for anything remotely important these machines are nothing but
> trouble.

It's only a problem if you insist using OF/Quik.

> if all your interested in is a tinkering machine they are fine.  so
> long as you don't mind mandatory macos.
>
> if you want a macos free system get something other then a oldworld
> powermac.  an old intel box a sparc will be much better choices for
> that.

Why you would buy *any* mac if you didn't want to run macos is a
mystery to me.  But a lot of people have these machines lying around
when they could be doing useful work.  At least that's why *I'm* on
this list.

Best wishes,

cbb