Re: compiling kernel

Josh wrote:

> > You *should not* have links to those directories in your kernel
> > source.  There's a whole thread on this topic in debian-powerpc
> > from back in January of 2000 -- search for ``Subject: Continuing
> > annoyances...''
>
> OK, I read some of that, but what do I do now?  Can I just remove the links?

You want to remove the links and install the libc header rpm, which will have
all of the appropriate files that should go there.

That thread had to deal with a disagreement b/w some people who felt that the
header files should link directly to the kernel source, and the people who agree
with Linus, that you should have a set header file which is not dependent on
your current kernel.

> > you should use the header files provided with libc (the header
> > files in /usr/include/linux come from the libc6-dev package), or
> > copy them into your source tree.
>
> Copy what from where?

Not copy, install.  Install the libc6-header rpm (the name is something like
that).

> Sorry, I'm a little lost...

No problem.  That's what this is here for (well, of course you should be reading
as much documentation as you can find...)

HTH
--Nelson Abramson