Re: compiling kernel

> > Yes.  Put something else (like the name of your dog, your cat,
> > your fish, or your second-grade teacher there instead).
>
> even if I didn't name vmlinux and System.map with an extra name?

You shouldn't be setting EXTRAVERSION at all unless you are modifying the
kernel source and distributing your modifications to other people.

(For example, Alan Cox releases patches with EXTRAVERSION strings like
"ac1" so that the kernel version becomes 2.2.17-ac1. This lets people keep
track of which version of his patches they are using.)

By default, EXTRAVERSION is empty and should remain so.