OT: Developers: 7.1/7.5/8.1/8.6/9?

I do or will run the major versions of popular operating systems (currently the
list/wishlist includes Linux, MacOS, Windows, and BeOS) for development testing
purposes. My question: I intend to run 8.1 and 9 (and X when I have access to
it), but should I run 8.6 (which I currently have access to, so there's no cost
in doing so or not doing so) as well? If I test software on 8.1 and 9, would it
be worth the trouble to test it on 8.6 as well?

Also, in the same vein, is it likely that enough people are running 7.* to be
worth the trouble for that? I can't remember off the top of my head if I have
7.1 or 7.5 (or both), but setting aside the cost issue (which isn't
unreasonable, since neither of those would be expensive any more), would it be
worth it (sorry about the grammar; my mind gets lazy in the summer) to run 7.1,
7.5, or both?

If anyone knows of any discussion forums (web-based, mailing list, etc.) which
could better answer my questions or put me directly in touch with the user
community, please (and with my thanks) direct me to them.