Re: Pismo status

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:30:07PM +0000, Sergio Brandano wrote:
>  Ok Sven. You are convinced about your idea, but I am still skeptical.
>  In order to persuade me, I need a proof. Please perform this simple
>  experiment, then report the result. The experiment is as follows.
>  Have a nice and long trip with your car, then come back home, and
>  switch the engine off ensuring that the cooling fan is not spinning.
>  Let us know if your car starts again the next day.

Well, I'm not Sven, but...

My 1999 Saturn always turns the fan off when the ignition is turned off.  I
actually haven't seen a car made in the last 5 years that would leave the
fan on after shutdown.  Perhaps the manufacturers realized it only cooled
the no-longer-circulating water in the radiator.  So, you might say I
perform this experiment every time I take a nice long trip.

>  If you prefer, you can perform the similar experiment with your brand new
>  PowerBook 500Mhz. Just run an intensive floating point application
>  for a long time, then shutdown. Keep doing it every day, for a week
>  or so. Let us know it your jewel works fine at the end of it.

Since I've never been able to get the fan to come on in my 333Mhz
powerbook, I don't know how much this applies.  I haven't performed much
computation in MacOS to see if it comes on a little.  Kind of intuitively,
though, the natural reaction I would have to "the CPU is too hot" would be
to turn it off.  Never seen a desktop machine that ran its fan after
poweroff.

Dave Brown