Re: X problems

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 01:01:14PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Meaning that the session probably gets started and terminates immediately,
> e.g. because some program doesn't exist or fails.
>
> You really have to check where and how wdm invokes the session and try to find
> out what goes wrong.

the same as xdm, it runs /etc/X11/Xsession which, if it exists will
run ~/.xsession otherwise it runs twm or an xterm as a failsafe.  if
your ~/.xsession is bogus you will get kicked out right away since
when .xsession exits your X session exits.

your .xession should look like this:

#! /bin/sh

xscreensaver &
exec wmaker

in this case i run xscreensaver to waste CPU cycles and then run
WindowMaker for my window manager, make sure there is no `&' after the
last command in the .xession (which needs to be your windowmanager)
otherwise the script will exit killing your X session...

a more safe script would look like this:

#! /bin/sh

xscreensaver &

if [ -x `which wmaker` ] ; then
    exec wmaker
elif [ -x `which twm` ] ; then
    exec twm
else
    exec xterm
fi

but i don't bother, if my .xsession gets broke i just login on
console/ssh and fix it there ;-)

> And once again: gdm will probably work :)

bah! ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/